Friday, August 10, 2007

My Negaraku (Part I) – Chronology

The past 50 odd hours has led me to rediscover a darker side of my beloved country. It all started with a friend o mine sending me a clip of a remade version of our national anthem by Namewee entitled Negarakuku. (full lyrics)

A 'lil background on the clip
Namewee first uploaded Negarakuku on the 15th of July. He claims that he did it because his friends who were receiving it complained that the filesize was too big. Therefore the next best thing would be Youtube, right?

[some say] Wrong.

Anyhow Nel said it was very funny, but it's a pity that I wouldn't understand it. *inhales* I take these comments in my stride. After a lil browsing, I got a translated version. Hah.



Superbly entertaining. Be it his voice, the R&B-ish-ness of it, and even the information that he so poetically expresses. (So good that later on, I caught myself singing this rendition of Negaraku in the car by myself. :O ) It's one of the best Malaysia-related song I've heard in awhile, aside from some of Poetic Ammo's efforts such as Kuala Lumpur - Negarakuku really had.. feel.
Then there was the comments section. *clicks Oldest*

"Ouch... this is getting a 'lil serious!". Posts ranged from proclamations of Namewee as a 'hero' all the way to extreme and hostile comments threatening to slaughter the singer like a chicken entering an Ayamas factory. I knew this guy was going to be arrested soon. Big time story soon! I knew this was just the beginning of a bigger issue.

Found this.

He has supposedly been charged under the Sedition Act and upon conviction must serve a 2 week jail sentence and/or RM100 fine. (I reckon there might be some ass-kicking in the process..) I don't know whether the clip's sadly funny or funnily sad.

Doesn't matter. I got thirstier. So i searched and searched. I found him on NTV7's news. Was even featured on TaiwanTV! Actually, the part where I spent most of my time were in the Comments section and other forums discussing the issue. (e.g. USJ e-community, Mahaguru58 Blog) Also, while chatting with Jay n Keith, Jay stumbled upon a website called Bolehnation. At that time, we couldn't load it. Check it out.

I swear, I didn't Photoshop this.
I really wonder who's idea was that. Respect.
When we finally could load the site, some of the links (notably BolehChannel) just doesn't work anymore. Hmm....


With a click rate of 53,751 times and also ranked as the 'Top 10 Most Popular'...Wait a minute.

LIVE
(at the time of writing):
I just did a search of YouTube Top 10s (where they have the daily top 10 most viewed videos). And I had trouble finding the 15th. So I'm searching, and searching. And guess what? It's NOT THERE!! And it stops at the 21st of July. None in August. Why? Hmmmmmm.... odd. I feel like I'm suddenly in a bout of investigative journalism. The more I search, the more interesting it gets. "The truth is out there.." *plays X-Files theme..*

Watch for:
My personal interpretation and opinions of this whole incident and what it meant to me.. and you.

Disclaimer : If anything offends you in any way, do yourself a favor and stop reading, go away and get yourself a cup of coffee. It is what keeps freedom of speech tolerable not only here, but anywhere else on this planet.

3 comments:

soonyee said...

the way he reacted was, pure brat style fuh...

Anonymous said...

is this ur holiday assignment? im sure u can score well in this type of research. haha...

justinwong said...

Soon Yee: Yeah man, haha, he hit the point!

ps: I wish. Knew I shouldn't have done engineering. *grumbles*

Rate it!