Thursday, June 21, 2007

A fine day

There was this song in the album Laughing Stock, by Kopi Kat Klan called "Singapore is a fine country". This was a hit album among some of my friends (especially Jayson, imitating Kiasu King). The first time I heard the song, I thought how conceited of them to praise their own country. But upon listening closely, you realize they're talking about how easily one can kena saman in Singapore.

How clever.

You've probably deduced why I brought this up by now. Yes, Justin kena saman today. But in my defense, I probably deserved three instead of the one i kena-ed. Firstly, I will admit that I have a habit of finding lubang to park 'just for awhile' while I run certain errands. In fact, I'm so stubborn I'll go out of my way to not pay that RM3/hour carpark despite knowing that a single summon can offset all that I've 'saved'. So begins the story..

I went to the bus station to get a ticket for a trip up to Penang(no, it's not a food trip...not entirely at least), saw parking lots, moved on. Saw another one, moved on. Then I saw my spot. Behind this bigass bus waiting for its passengers on the main road. So I carefully parked close to the curb, locked up, look left, then right, walked away..Then I looked back again - justincase. "Just for awhile mahh.."

After about 20 mins, I was done. On my way back, I saw that the bus had left, and there were neither cars behind nor in front of mine. "So fugged..", I thought as I approached doom. But alas, no magic paper!

Feeling lucky and contented, I ventured to my next destination, Petaling Street. I wanted to take a stroll after a long time of not going there after *thinks*..about a year! (no thanks to Semenyih..) So i was on the lookout again. Lots..more lots.. ahah! A space behind a car (i think already parked cars give you a this-guy-probably-knows-that-this-is-a-safe-zone feeling..) beside a shop just in front of the entrance into P.street. Again, I parked and went, albeit with a little less caution as before. Besides, it's "just for awhile mahh.."

This time I took only 10 mins and made my way towards my car when i saw a familiar white paper flapping on my wipers.

KNNBCB*&#%niaput&$#@@tamade&$

It was a RM30 summon for.. you know what it's for. AAIEEEHHHH... First thing that came to my mind : RAYU. "Yes yes, 15 bux is not so bad. Sure can, sure can.." So I leaned on my car and began calling my trusty links on where to do what and what other jalan might there be. *whistles*
I was directed to the DBKL h/quarters. For your future benefit (am NOT cursing you..its justincase) it's located just past Dataran Merdeka (when it's on your left). 20 mins of twisting and turning in the ever puzzling KL roads, I reached the carpark. Guess what? Free parking was all taken as far as my eyes could see. Screw thishit, am not donating another cent to this jokers. So I was on a lookout, again. (old habits die hard! haha) Only this time, I found one, in the next building belonging to PKNS. Obviously I checked whether I had to pay parking. Not doing so it like stealing honey the queen bee's hive man. I didn't. Sweet.

On the way there, I saw many many officers dressed in the DBKL uniform. It wasn't intentional but i HATED THE SIGHT. I'm really sad to say but officials in this country are just not a pleasant sight. It signifies more trouble than help. Not to mention their fuggedup faces and smirks they give you when they're about to smack one at you. *thinks..* I was going to type "in this case, Singapore's better. At least they smile." but upon second thought, most of us ask for trouble here anyway. Moving on.

I came to a very well decorated em, area. Pretty comfy too. I thought to myself, "hmm, I wonder how many justincases they had to catch to build this place.." When my number came up, I went into this rayuan cubicle. Being me, I greeted the guy and tried to berfren-fren with him in hopes that he does not double the cost of my ticket to Penang.

Armed with a big smile, I tried my luck with, "Eh, kalau bayar dalam sejam boleh diskaun lebih, ke?"
"Ada..", he replied and proceeded to reduce the summon to RM10 and went on with the usual Q&A question as to why I did it, where i kena, etc. He was so pleasant he even thought he'd seen me before.

To my dismay, I could no longer be even frustrated. This just re-emphasizes what I've always been saying; despite the abundant issues that just boils your blood, there will always be the many small perks that'll make you inhale and heave a big "whatever lahhh..." sigh. Call it ignorance and/or tolerance, but it's hard to hate - for me at least.

More lessons today: (many which I already know but needs emphasis)

  1. The stress that comes with getting or anticipating a summon is just not worth it. Find proper lubangs.
  2. "Just for awhile.." is not justified, but neither are the outrageous parking rates. Still contemplating this one.
  3. When you park behind cars, check whether there are people inside the damn car.
  4. Petaling street is boring anytime before noon. Actually, there's not much to see IMO.
  5. 1p.m. is not a good time to drive around - morning session school's ending and lunch hour
  6. Some Malay words are simply irreplacable. (e.g. memang, kena, etc.)
Hope you enjoyed the relatively Malaysian-fied post. Have a fine day.

0 comments:

Rate it!