Saturday, July 14, 2007

Supercrap

This was an eventful week, of which the most notable events happening was Devan (D) coming down from Penang. It wasn't exactly because of Devan though.

D came down from an interview and needed a place to crash before he headed back to Penang so I suggested he come to my place. So it was all good and when I got back, there was Devan standing with an older man. He flagged me down and signaled for me to park. When I approached him, he paused, gave me a bug eyed look and said, "Dude, I lost my luggage.."

Jw: What the hell?! How the hell?!
D : The cab fare was Rm14, so I only had one RM10 and the rest bigger notes. He said he didn't have any change. I gave him RM10 and I told him to stop while I get change for the balance from the mamak. I stepped out, got my change, looked back.. and he was gone!
JW : You sure or not? Hmm.. Ok, do you remember anything about the cab?
D : Man, that's the thing. I only 'know' he was Indian, driving a red/white cab under Supercab. And on the way, he made a call to the HQ to ask how much was the fare from Jalan 222 to Taman Desa cuz his meter was spoilt.
JW : Number plate? Name?
D : Nope.
Jw: Rightss. K, try to make some calls.

I know what you're thinking. It's a needle-in-a-haystack effort! But I had to try, right? So I called Supercab and asked them all I could but in turn they kept saying, "susah, susah..Ada number plate? Kalo ada number plate senang." I OBVIOUSLY knew that we weren't exactly baking a pie here, but if you the cab driver drove off with your luggage you had to do something with what you have, right? Anyway, after 5 minutes of listening to her re-tell the 'story' to her co-workers, she said that there was no such case of a Supercab driver calling to ask such questions.

JW : Dude, what's in those 2 bags?
D : Man, just my clothes and my certs!
JW : Your certs?! 0_0"
D : Yeah... but mostly photocopied ones. The original ones were the CIAST (some certs we got during an industrial visit) and the Dance club ones.
JW : *heaves a sigh of relief* Oohh.. aiyoh say lah, you already lost one of the CIAST certs to begin with and I'll reprint the Dance Club certs for you lahaiyo. (I made them. =p)
D : True.. true. But I had new clothes in there, the ones I bought from Thailand. Man, he took my favorite jeans too. Oh, and my book which I just bought! Man, I was halfway through!
JW : Damn taxi driver, too much. How could he take your favorite jeans? And you're halfway through that book man.

So we waited for about half an hour and he didn't show up.

Now. Lets rewind a 'lil. Did you notice any irregularities throughout the whole story? Well, at this point, I noticed a few.

  1. Meter spoilt - coincidence?
  2. A taxi driver will always collect his fare, even if he's blocking Bigfoot, he will collect his fare. And the killer..
  3. How the hell would a cab driver not have change?!
Now the scenario has taken a twist. It's turned into luggage-thief. Crime rate is on the rise I tell you. Just the other day, my mom's office got broken into. Petty theft. Stole a handphone and a few CPUs. I almost laughed cuz my mom's comp runs like an overclocked P75. But there's the P&C data which is a whole different story altogether.

Back to Devan's case. He's still contemplating to either make a police report (which is pretty useless imo) and/or write to the papers with the title 'Malaysia - Paradise lost'. So the drama. I would've named it 'Cabbie stole my jeans!'.
The next time you take a cab, please do note down anything and everything you see especially if you just came from out of town. At least get the driver's name, agency, and car registration plate regardless of whether or not he's that nice.
Also, this post is not intended to defame anyone or any company. IMO the transportation system has improved alot, but still, shit happens.

0 comments:

Rate it!