Friday, September 5, 2008

What's so funny?

There's quote that says, "A day without laughter is a day wasted". Seeing that I've never met anyone who simply refuses to laugh (with the exception of this clip) makes that a no-brainer.

In recent months during my SDM stint here in Penang, I've hung out with numerous people who have the exceptional ability to tickle your funny bone in an instant and i've grown envious of their entertainment capacity (not to mention their huge memory for their jokes database). Agreed, they may have the stupidest of jokes such as:

Q: How do you make an elephant bow?
A: Flick his balls.

See, I know you're going "wth" but i've seen a guy make the same joke and make 30 grown up men pee in their pants! It's all in the delivery, I know, I know.

No, I'm not going to start preaching on the technicalities of humor i.e. structures of jokes etc etc. It just bugs me simply because I'm getting confused due to the fact that different people I talk to give me absolutely contrasting responses! .. It's not funny when you try to crack a joke with your bosses and you get the 'wtf dude'-look' cuz no one fuggin gets it?! Did I mention they were my bosses? Ohshuttup,it's.not.funny.

Alright, key learning time. The truest and time-tested element of humor is (unfortunately) pain. Whether it's physical or emotional pain:
You slip on a banana! (LOL-worthy!)
I call you a banana! (Snort-worthy!)
or sometimes used to good effect - pain on self:
Say, "I lost my nuts.." (it's a pun. Nuts, as in nuts?? geddittt??!)

(Actually me pleading for laughs is embarrasing and my guess is that you at least snorted there)

A good one I've heard was this guy doing stand-up. He was hilariously going on and on and pretty hard on gays and homosexuals and he noticed that some were getting uncomfortable. (it's the US, see). So he says, "I can see some people gettin uncom-for-ta-ble. Why so serious??! What, I can't make gay jokes now?
Can I see them gays in the house? *lifts one hand* There yoall at. See, I don't know much about gays, but I sure know this; If you can take a dick in your mouth... you sure as hell can take a joke!"

Laugh and be merry people, cheers~

0 comments:

Rate it!